Phagocytes in Acute Inflammation
Often when we study inflammation in the second trimester of my physiology course, students report needing a quick reminder about the roles of the various cells involved. Here's a short overview just to bring you up to speed on the roles of various phagocytes in acute inflammation.
Note that this isn't meant to be a full discussion of the inflammatory process. Armando Hasudungan does a great job with the big picture overview in the following two videos:
Gotta know more?
- Theoharides, T. C., Alysandratos, K.-D., Angelidou, A., Delivanis, D.-A., Sismanopoulos, N., Zhang, B., … Kalogeromitros, D. (2012). Mast cells and inflammation. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, 1822(1), 21–33. http://doi.org/10.1016/j.bbadis.2010.12.014
- Urb, M., & Sheppard, D. C. (2012). The Role of Mast Cells in the Defence against Pathogens. PLoS Pathogens, 8(4), e1002619. doi:10.1371/journal.ppat.1002619
- Mócsai, A. (2013). Diverse novel functions of neutrophils in immunity, inflammation, and beyond. The Journal of Experimental Medicine, 210(7), 1283–1299. http://doi.org/10.1084/jem.20122220
- Brinkmann, V., & Zychlinsky, A. (2012). Neutrophil extracellular traps: Is immunity the second function of chromatin? The Journal of Cell Biology, 198(5), 773–783. http://doi.org/10.1083/jcb.201203170
- Kaplan, M. J., & Radic, M. (2012). Neutrophil Extracellular Traps: Double-Edged Swords of Innate Immunity. The Journal of Immunology, 189(6), 2689–2695. http://doi.org/10.4049/jimmunol.1201719
- Randolph, G. J., Jakubzick, C., & Qu, C. (2008). Antigen Presentation by Monocytes and Monocyte-derived Cells. Current Opinion in Immunology, 20(1), 52–60. doi:10.1016/j.coi.2007.10.010